The Russian threat has now spread from Crimea to eastern Ukraine. Russian troops and pro-Russian “protesters” have now attacked, and in most cases taken over, police stations and other government buildings in ten Ukrainian cities in clearly coordinated efforts. The Ukrainian military has not responded…yet. But when they do, and they will, Russia will drop the hammer, and once again we will have Russian tanks rolling into countries that do not belong to them. (Just like when we do it! Yay!)
I have found that the best criticisms of politicians come from those politicians ex-supporters. The absolute best, most fact-filled anti-George W. Bush book I ever read (Crude Politics) was written by a right-wing republican who voted for Bush.
I warned the Obama voters back in 2008, telling them Obama was lying and wouldn’t change a damn thing, just like I warned the Bush voters back in 2000, telling them Bush was lying and wasn’t for small government at all. In the next presidential election, I will warn people again (although much more lightly since I care far less these days), and no one will listen again, and the Great Decline will continue on its merry way.
The 1987 Robocop movie pretty much predicted everything accurately. I’ve always thought the same thing, but this was a cool breakdown.
– the notion of “singularity.
– the dominance of the Ford Taurus
– that robots can’t climb stairs
– crony capitalism
– ruinous public sector unions
– that Detroit would become a crumbling disaster area
– that commercial real estate development will reshape entire cities in super-short timeframes
Hell yeah baby.
This trailer was not quite as good as the one they had for Expendables 2, but I’m not complaining. Seeing Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, and Arnold all there, and seeing Snipes there, fresh out of prison…it’s just…awesome.
It never ends. Congress just fast-tracked $1 billion of American taxpayer cash to bail out Ukraine. But as usual, the money isn’t going where you think it is…
Not a single needy Ukrainian will see a penny of this money, as it will be used to bail out international banks who hold Ukrainian government debt. According to the terms of the International Monetary Fund (IMF)-designed plan for Ukraine, life is about to get much more difficult for average Ukrainians. The government will freeze some wage increases, significantly raise taxes, and increase energy prices by a considerable margin.
One of my investments is in gold. You may think gold is a great investment or a terrible one, but that’s not what I’m talking about today.
Rather, I just learned something very interesting. Here’s a few facts you probably didn’t know about gold:
1. It would take just three and a half Olympic-sized swimming pools to hold all the gold ever mined out of the earth, EVER, in all of human history. That’s it. That’s all the gold held by human beings on the entire planet. Amazing isn’t it?
I recently watched Bridge on the River Kwai, which is a must-see movie if you have not seen it yet.
There’s a scene where Alec Guinness (the original Obi Wan Kenobi in the Star Wars films) gives a little speech about how old he is, and how old he feels, and how there are “less days ahead than there are behind”. And yeah, as you can see from the above photo, he does look somewhat old in this movie. Not an “old man” certainly, but old.
Out of curiosity, I looked up Alec’s age when this movie was filmed (1957). To my shock and awe, I was astounded to discover that in that movie, Alec was just one year older than I am now. He was 43 in this movie…I’m almost 42.
– Russia has invaded Ukraine (though Russia already had troops there…yeah, it’s complicated). This is bad. Superpowers should not invade little countries.
– Oh wait…we did the same thing. Multiple times the United States has invaded smaller countries that never attacked us, toppled and replaced their governments, and did so without being invited in. That means Obama (who through his actions supported both wars in Iraq and Afghanistan) has no moral authority whatsoever to tell Putin he can’t do what he’s doing. Because of the actions of the last several U.S. presidents, America has given unspoken “permission” to any big, powerful nation to invade any small country any time they like. America as become a Glass House.
It sure is a good thing the Obama administration said it wouldn’t go after marijuana dispensaries. Because, hey, Obama’s a nice guy. He’s a progressive! Oh wait…
We hired lawyers from day one. We were entirely compliant with state law. It was shortly after the federal government said it would not intervene if people followed state law. We wanted to abide by the rules. None of us had criminal backgrounds. We’re all regular guys. The only reason we got into this was because the federal government said they wouldn’t intervene.
If you believe in freedom (and most modern-day people do not), then you believe in freedom of self-determination. That means people should be allowed to decide what kind of government they have or don’t have. It’s what separates us in the Western world from places like North Korea.
This means that if a certain state, province, city, or whatever within your country wants to declare independence and break away from your nation, you should let them.
If Scotland wants to be independant of England, let them.